Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Gullible



Most recently one of my professors made our class keep a "time diary" for a week. We were assigned to write down every activity that we participated in, and keep track of how our time was spent through using an analysis method prescribed by the Docta (Dr. Hothem, that is).

Dr. Hothem made us write a follow-up on the results of our data. Everyone was supposed to get something deep and meaningful out of the way that we spent our past week, participating in activities that we "normally" would do if it wasn't being documented.

Fortunately, I learned a lesson.

I found out that even though I find myself spending huge amounts of time studying and participating in fellowship through a holistic mindset (meaning that all aspects of my life are considered "leisure"--my only obligation is to love the Lord with all my heart and body; everything I do is centered around my Savior), I spend a very minimal amount of time one-on-one with God. At first glance at the calculations for the analysis part of our assignment, my response to my own participation was that it was pathetic. What if I treated my earthly husband the way that I responded to Christ this week?-- it helped to make me become more self-aware. How could it be that I only spent approximately 5 hours per week intentionally drawing closer to my Lord when I was spending approximately 26 hours per week participating in "quality study time" in relation to academics? I assumed that the immense amount of time I spend studying to be a missionary and talking about missionary work, somehow equated (and replaced) prayer and devotional time. My bad.

The assignment reminded me that even if we take life through a holistic, God-centered approach, that doesn't mean that we're spending ["enough"] quality time with our Savior. Personally, I am very glad that God was able to use my time diary to help me refocus on my time with Him. I cannot wait to see what is to come of this realization.

How is He calling you to spend time with Him daily?


For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
-Ephesians 3:14-19

No comments:

Post a Comment