Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lost at Sea

She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
"Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
-Proverbs 31:25-29



"Joyce, I want to get married. Why am I taking chemistry?"





The above thought-treasure revealed itself the other night at about 2:30 am, while I was working on a very tedious chemistry lab. Now, there is no connection between chemistry and marriage, nor do I not like chemistry because I think that I'm supposed to be wed by now. Fact is, that God has me here for a very specific reason. The point to my statement is that I'm starting to catch glimpses of all these beautiful things God has for my future. Why am I where I am right now?

This can only be answered in bits and pieces. God has this situation under control, and as much as I try and seek out the answers, I will never understand fully as to why I am where I am. All that I know is that my focus has become skewed.

Just as the Thessalonians started to become idle, for they knew of the coming of Christ in the future, I started to become idle (distracted and disgruntled) with my studies here at Siena. With seminary, marriage, and missions to come, my excitement about the future has put this haze in front of me, in which I cannot see anything that's before me. Right now I need to focus on the task at hand. For God gives only beautiful gifts. As amazing as missions, marriage, or seminary might be, whatever He has planned for me right now is just as beautiful.

Brothers and sisters, I challenge all of us to not get distracted by the good things to come, but to focus on the good things that are in the present. May we never forget to live in the now, as Christ has provided us more than enough blessings for right now. We must live out His Plan, wherever we are.


And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
-1 Thessalonians 4:14

No comments:

Post a Comment