Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Give Me Your Eyes

Meanwhile the disciples were urging him, saying,
"Rabbi, eat."
But he said to them, I have food to eat that you do not know about."
So the disciples said to one another,
"Has anyone brought him something to eat?"
Jesus said to them,
"My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.
Do you not say, 'There are yet four months, then comes the harvest'?
Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes and see that the fields are white for harvest.
-John 4:31-35



How absolutely incredible is this passage? Many a time I have read through this and just accepted it, ("Yeah, I get it, the Bread of Life, ...that's cool."). I have completely failed at actually reading what Christ has scripted here.


31: Disciples: Rabbi eat....implying the need for Christ to eat. I assume he was looking "overworked" and possibly gaunt (as he appears in most pictures now-a-days).
32: Jesus: You just don't get it, I have life. More life that can be found in a piece of bread.
33: Disciples: Has anyone been thoughtful and hospitable towards our God?
34: Jesus: (Hitting it out of the ballpark)--I have more life and more energy living the only life that I am called to--the life in which God gave me to live. Don't set time limits (Example of folly: I'll be a missionary in this many months..when I'm financially ready and God has made it FULLY clear to me what I'm to do, by showing me multiple signs in which I've previously neglected...or...I'll talk to those people that God has put on my heart when I have less homework...) Open up your eyes!! I provide opportunities for every single second of your life to live out My work!

Holy smokes.

How riveting and empowering is verse 34?

Every single second, if we "lift up our eyes," we will see that Jesus can be served in some way.

Let's start living that way.

As Christ calls us to.

No comments:

Post a Comment