Tuesday, November 3, 2009

For the Good

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy,
-Colossians 1:9-11


Good evening and God Bless,

Christ truly worked through chem lab tonight. It has become tradition for the wonderful young ladies that I sit at a lab table with to complain about lab, through casual joking, and the occasional tears. I most definitely join in, in both activities. Often. However, it's been on my heart recently to change the way that I respond towards the dreaded subject (Do everything without complaining or arguing. Phil 2:14).

While doing Experiment #8, our lab on titration, Christ made Himself known to me. After a "chem bash" of ours I started to wonder why I was taking chemistry in the first place. Sure, I may be an environmental major at Siena, but Christ has called me to transfer, and to get more involved with my Biblical studies major (currently referred to as my Religious Studies major at Siena) while at another school. Christ then started speaking to my heart. He would teach me through chemistry, not necessarily chemistry itself.

Titration takes a long time. A very long time. If you are a science major, I cringe with you at the word. However, if you sit and be still, wait for the presence of blue (when using a thymol blue indicator) or pink (phenolphthalein), you won't have to do the whole lab over again. So I waited. For every drop (or "half drop") I watched, swirled, and was still in His presence. My partner, however, grew impatient, and would completely open the buret and dispense several mL of solution at a time. Her results in the end were incomplete.

My partner quickly learned patience in lab after three unsuccessful titration trials; the only way she will get the correct answers is if she waited. How many trials will we rush before we go to Him who has all the answers?


Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him,
-Psalm 37:7a


1 comment:

  1. This is so true. Especially because I am taking Chemistry this semester and that is a very good analogy about the titration! I think i might just send that paragraph to my professor..i think he would like that. Patience is a virtue and that partner was not patient and failed (in a way) in the end. If we are patient, we will receieve an answer (the titrated color)as our result! how awesome...

    ReplyDelete